Anyone that has ever suffered from severe nodular acne and has taken the acne treatment Accutane for the condition will know just how effective this treatment can be. With the help of Accutane sufferers of severe nodular acne can get relief from the appearance of lesions, the discomfort and the risk of further bouts of acne. However, it is important to bear in mind that Accutane is a very strong medication, which is a concentrated form of vitamin A. It can also come with a range of both mild and more serious side effects, which means that it is important that anyone considering taking this treatment has a discussion with their doctor or healthcare professional prior to taking the treatment.
Your doctor will need to be made aware of a number of things in order to advise whether this is the right treatment for you and to make sure that you can take it safely and with minimal risk of side effects. Some of the things that you need to discuss with your doctor or healthcare professional prior to taking this treatment include:
- Pregnancy: It is very important to discuss this issue with your doctor if you are female. He or she will need to know whether you are pregnant, there is a risk you may be pregnant or even if you are planning to get pregnant, as Accutane cannot be taken by pregnant women or those who may become pregnant
- Any medical allergies: Your doctor will need to know if you have any allergies to treatment, particularly to isotretinoin or to parabens, as this will determine whether or not you are able to take Accutane
- Your medical history: It is important that you discuss your full medical history with your doctor and ensure that you are frank and honest about any physical and mental illnesses you have or have suffered from in the past
- Let your doctor know if you have suffered from or currently suffer from illnesses including: bone related disorders, depression or mental illness, intestinal problems including IBS, asthma, diabetes, liver problems, eating disorders, high cholesterol or heart disease
- Details of any medication that you are taking: it is possible that Accutane may adversely react with other medications so you should let your doctor or healthcare professional know about any other medications that you are taking before you start taking Accutane
- Anything else you feel is relevant: if there are any other aspects of your medical history that you believe may be relevant you should make sure that you discuss them with your doctor